Wednesday 27 August 2014

Checking In From Amidst Chaos!!

HELLOOOOOO!!! Yes, I'm still in the land of the living, just a wee bit buried under a mountain of boxes and unpacking. We're all moved into our new house safe and sound ... though not without a few 'adventures'!!

The biggest adventure occurred as we were packing and cleaning our cottage ready to move ... my Beloved Geek Boy had been up in the roof storage/attic space and having finished, he stepped onto the ladder to climb down. That's when he felt the ladder slide out from under him and he fell 11 feet to land flat on his back!! Mum and I were in another room and all we heard was some swearing (Oops!!), the clatter of the ladder falling and one humongous and very final sounding THUD! I think my heart stopped for a few beats ... and again when I raced into the room to find GB flat on his back and gasping for breath! EEK! After he caught his breath and found that everything moved and wriggled that should be able to (Thank you Lord!!) I picked him up off the floor and carted him off to the chiropractor ... who said nothing was broken, his pelvis which bore the brunt of the abrupt landing was out of alignment (which he fixed) and the spine and muscles were badly bruised. With rest (HA!) and anti-inflamatories, he would live to fight another day ... as long as he steered clear of ladders for a while!!

Well ... almost two weeks on, GB is still hobbling around (and just quietly reminds me of the old-fashioned sailor with a rolling sort of gait! Tee! Hee! Hee!) but is on the mend. I think his guardian angel is missing quite a few wing feathers, tho! And we are incredibly thankful that things didn't turn out worse. Really, as difficult (and frustrating for GB!) as things have been, it really was the best worst-case-scenario possible in the circumstances. And we were extremely blessed to receive huge help and support from friends, workmates and family members ... we'd have been lost without my folks, especially! Thanks Mum and Dad! :0) They went home to rest for a week or two ... or three! Tee! Hee! Hee!

So ... now it's just a matter of continuing the endless task of unpacking, rearranging furniture and wrapping our heads around fitting our belongings into a different space and house configuration. Not to mention finding homes for everything ... and then trying to remember where you put everything! SHEESH! We're still playing hide-and-seek with our belongings just to get ready in the mornings! :0) And there are many 'mysterious mounds' like this around the house ...

Did I mention I was paranoid about my breakables getting broken in the move?! :0) On the up side ... newspaper is great for helping to get the wood heater going on our freezing evenings and frosty mornings ... one of the HUGE plusses of our new house! :0)

There's still quite a bit of unpacking to do ... I haven't had any time off work during this process and GB's been handicapped ... but we're just muddling along, doing a bit more each day until one day we hope it's all unpacked and in new homes. Then maybe I'll get back to my sewing!! :0)

And when it all gets a little too much and we start to ask ourselves what the heck we've done ... I make myself a cup of tea and go for a stroll around our lovely large new garden. There are lots of plants I've never tried growing before, lots of deciduous trees and mysterious bulbs beginning to dress themselves in their spring finery, not to mention a few veges and some mystery herbs. (Note to self: find a good herb reference to make sure the herbs aren't suspicious! Tee! Hee! Hee!) The showiest of the plants at the moment is this pretty lady ...

It's not the best photo, as I snapped it in a hurry as I scooted past to head off to work this morning, but don't you just love those fresh spring colours? It makes me smile to see the garden coming out of hibernation! I promise I'll give you a tour when more spring beauties are showing their colours. And a house tour will also be on the agenda ... just as soon as it looks like a house instead of a giant jumble sale. :0)

Hopefully some of you out there have been stitching away madly to make up for my lack of sewing industry again this month and if you have ... OPAMers ... don't forget it's only a few days til the end of the month, so please update your sidebar lists of finishes and email your tallies through to me or Sweet Peg. My lovely Partner-In-Crime has been a rock as I've been a bit unreliable in the blogging/emailing/OPAMing stakes during the process of preparing for auction, selling our cottage and buying our dream house ... thank you so much, Sweet Peg! MMMMMWAH!!!

Well ... that's about it from me for today and since the sun has finally peeked out from behind the storm clouds, I think I will play Polly and put the kettle on for a cup of tea, then take a promenade around the garden to see what new surprises I can see. Enjoy the rest of your week!! Til next time ...

BEAR HUGS!

CHEERS!
KRIS


9 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Great to hear from you, but, not good news about hubby, but, his injuries could easily have been so much more serious, but, still bad enough. Looking forward to photos.

Chookyblue...... said...

glad to hear Geek Boy is ok..........and finally you are in your new home........

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Oh No.....your darling GB...all so hectic and exciting for you both.....can't wait to see more photos...take care of that man of yours and you take care as well my gorgeous Kris......xxxxx

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Whew! Glad everyone is okay. Moving is such hard work. You are wise to take breaks

Fiona said...

glad it is all coming along and no need to hurry with the unpacking.... you are there for life now!!! hope S feels heaps better...
see you soon... soon I hope...
Hugz

Anonymous said...

Hi Kris yes i agree with Fiona,no hurry,do it as you can and enjoy your beautiful new home,enjoy your day my friend.xx

Polly said...

Holy cow, Kris!! I am soooo glad dear Geek Boy did not get more hurt! Very lucky man!! I absolutely cannot WAIT to see your new home all decked out with your awesome decor!!

Janice said...

Thank goodness Geek Boy is OK. Someone was certainly looking down on him. I bet he felt frustrated during the rest of the move. Have fun making your new house your home and enjoy discovering the joys of your new garden.

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Phew glad to hear The Boy is fine.....all sounds very scarey Kris! Happy Unpacking, how exciting to be in your Dream Home! Wishing you both many happy years there!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...