Tuesday 24 May 2011

Mutant Veges, A Finish & A Lovely Treat!!

I know that heading is a bit of a mouthful and I bet you're all asking yourselves ...

"How can all three of those things be in the same post?!?!"

Well ... here we go, so hang onto your hats ... metaphorically speaking! Tee! Hee! Hee!

Firstly ... We cleared out most things in the vege patch over a month ago, as everything had come to the end of its season. The only thing we left ... besides a couple of pretty marigolds and the lemon tree in its bright red pot (couple of lemons growing nicely on that one - woo hoo!!)  ... was the spring onion crop cos they were still good to use as needed. And then I promptly forgot about them being there!! OOPS! Today when I went out to shout at the dogs for barking at invisible dragons (well, that MUST be what they were barking at, since I couldn't see anything worth actually making so much noise about!!!) I was reminded of my spring onions and thought I'd pick a few to dice up into tonight's dinner ... rissoles ... one of my Beloved Geek Boy's fave meal choices. WELL ... I discovered that where I thought I'd need three spring onions to do the job, I'd actually only need one! Aliens have obviously been messing around with genetically modifying Earth-vegetables, cos the spring onions were MUTANTS!!! Let me show you by putting a mutant spring onion beside a normal size spring onion ...


See!!! The mutant veges are HUGE in comparison! Now ... we actually refer to these as shallots, but the seedling punnet that I planted called them spring onions ... all these different names for the same thing! Whatever we call it, I think it's related to the mutant carrots from last year ...


I'm sure SOME people manage to have normal veges in their vege patch, but apparently, we can't! If you hear news reports of an alien invasion, don't say I didn't warn you! Tee! Hee! Hee!

So ... next ... A Finish! I did some work on this project over the weekend and finally finished stitching down the binding yesterday ... a mat for my sewing machine to sit on to protect my new sewing desk ...



Ta Da!! As you can see, I added an applique of some Sweet Cherries to my machine mat, complete with a tag to tell us what they are. Hmmm ... just realised I need to sew a button on that tag to look like the hole ... Oops! An ALMOST finish! :0) This is made with some of my Charlevoix fabrics and it matches the bunting I made last month. I also have a matching machine cover in progress. Here is how the mat looks in action ...



I think it looks great with my cornflower blue wall behind it and it will protect the surface of my desk nicely ... not to mention it looks pretty! :0) Will show you the machine cover when I'm finished ... have appliqued and quilted it, just have to turn it into the actual cover shape now.

Last but not least is my Lovely Treat. A while back now, I did a guest blog post for the lovely Annie at  her Ruby Slipperz blog. As a thank you, Annie sent me a voucher for The Fat Quarter Shop .... OOOOOOOOHHHH!!! So many fabrics to drool over ... I had to wipe off my keyboard! :0) Well, after quite some deliberation (really, I wanted them ALL!!!! ), I added some of my play money to the voucher and bought myself ...



A Lovely Layer cake. Now, although it IS ... lovely, that is ... that is also the name of the fabric range ... "Lovely" by Sandy Gervais for Moda. Not my usual colours (boy, I seem to be saying that so often lately that maybe I need to just change what my 'usual' colours are! Tee! Hee! Hee!) but it was just so bright, cheerful and ... well ... LOVELY ... that I had to have it. I have a couple of ideas that this might be used for, but in the meantime, I'll just admire the pretties! :0) Thanks again, Annie ... whatever I make from this pretty layer cake will remind me that I've made some wonderful friends through blogging! :0)

So ... I think that's about all from me today. I hope your week is off to a fabulous start and that you're enjoying some time somewhere along the track to create and 'dream', as my inspirational word above my sewing machine says. Here's to the rest of the week being even better ... and in case of that alien invasion ... may the Fabric Force be with you! Tee! Hee! Hee! Til next time ...


BEAR HUGS!

CHEERS!
KRIS

3 comments:

Mistea said...

Sure looks like something has been messing with your vegie patch. Enjoy the fruits of their labours!
Your sewing mat is looking gorgeous in your new studio space - nothing like a little brightness to inspire those dreams.
Lovely sure is gorgeous, look forward to seeing something happen with that.

De said...

Definately alien mutation happening there - could have been what the dogs were barking at!

Love the sewing mat - goes so well with the room.

rubyslipperz1052 said...

You are so sweet to mention your fabric "gifts"! I must say...VERY interesting veggie growths...do they still taste good? or no?

hugZ,
annie
rubyslipperz106.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...