Wednesday 11 March 2009

Mail Surprises, A Bagging & A Sneaky Peek!!

It's one of those days where it's best to stay inside! We may be too far inland to be getting any of the rain from Cyclone Hamish (RATS!!) but BOY!! Are we experiencing some horrible, strong, gale force winds!! Every time I walk out the door, I look like a dandelion as my hair stands on end, then flies around, I do a Marilyn Monroe impersonation with my skirt (without the blond hair and her ... attributes!!) and I have to dodge high-velocity, wind-driven doors, whilst juggling keys and a handbag! All in all ... it's just too hard and I'm staying indoors as much as possible!

But inside can be good! Inside was where I quickly scooted after collecting some fun mail in the last little while! The first package to arrive was from Scottish Nanna. Mary works in a thrift shop and at the end of last year, sent me an email to say a little orphan bear had come into the shop and she thought I would make a good adoptive mother, so she was going to post him along to me. Then, she got sick and has been unwell for a while - but is now on the mend, so pop over and say G'day!! Last week she posted this little bloke to me, complete with a little friend who was holding a note from Mary. I've named them Smudge (bigger bear) and his little mate Joe. They will join the ever-growing population of bears who inhabit our spare room - hope any future guests like bears! Tee! Hee! Hee!

Now the second fun mail came from Simone, who is one of our OPAM Challenge participants. After popping into my blog a bit, Simone had a growing suspicion that I like teddy bears! :0) She said she'd found a piece of fabric in her stash with bears on it that she didn't think she would use and sent it to me as a treat!! Aren't I lucky?! Such lovely generous people in blogland!! Here's a photo of my fun mail ...


Simone was a bit worried that there was more of "THAT" colour in the fabric, but I'm going to call it 'rose red' and it will work just fine! Tee! Hee! Hee! Thank you so much Mary and Simone!! What lovely treats to receive in my mail - WAY better than bills!! :0)

Now to part two of my title - a bagging! Now, it probably isn't at all what you think it is!! I've been MAKING BAGS - two this week, to be exact! And you thought I'd be bagging someone out - I'm a GOOD girl, I am!! :0) The first bag I've made was a bit fiddly, but I like the result. It's actually one of the 'green' shopping bags that cost a dollar or so at Coles - except it's navy! Some Irish logic there getting in early for St Patrick's Day! Tee! Hee! Hee! I've found a pretty sunflower-on-navy-background fabric to match and covered the bag to give it a very practical inside and a pretty, decorative outside.


I got the idea from a similar bag someone sent me. This one is going to my Grandma for her birthday next week (two days before mine, so easy to remember!!) I also added a loop and button to keep the bag closed. Now Grandma will look very swish indeed when she hits the supermarket to do her grocery shopping!!

I've also finished another bag, this one is a giftie for one of my favourite residents at work - it's HER birthday this weekend - only the NICEST possible people are born in March ... right Julie?!?! :0) This bag is a made up one using some 'left over' pieces of my pretty new fabric I bought in Bris last week that I just had to find a use for, cos they were so darn pretty! Here's the result ...


Aren't those fabrics just so YUMMY!! I've appliqued a couple of fluttering butterflies on the front and this little bag will be very handy for the birthday girl to slip over the handle of her wheelie-walker to carry her bits and bobs - nice short handle so it doesn't get caught in the wheels! Hope she likes it! And can you see who else hopped into that photo?? It's Floppsie Bunny who came via Lilly Cottage to live with me. I'm pretty sure Lilly Linda has more cute bunnies who need homes if you pop over to visit her!!

And last but not least ... a sneaky peek! I thought I'd show you what I've started to do with my pretty new fabrics that have left me with the scraps to make the bag above.


Here you see the start of a quilt that I think will be a new Tag Along Teddies pattern - if I can manage to write clear instructions for what I'm making up! Tee! Hee! Hee! I just love looking at these colours - it's like capturing spring! Hmmm ... these strips are laid out on the guest bed and it suddenly occurs to me that any unexpected guests are going to have to fight their way past quilts-in-progress, bags, bunnies and bears to get into bed! Tee! Hee! Hee! Will have to clear it before next weekend when Mum and Dad come for a visit to celebrate my birthday with me - WOO! HOO! Can't wait to catch up with Mum and Dad!!

And on that note ... I'm off to keep playing with my pretty fabrics! Hope that whatever you're up to, you're having a great week so far. Til next time - Bear Hugs!

CHEERS!
KRIS

11 comments:

Kiwifruit-Shiree said...

Hi Kris,
My you have been busy, and yes I agree, the BEST people have their birthday in March!
The bags are lovely and I am sure will be really appreciated by the recipients. And I cannot wait to see the progress of your quilt. I will be following your blog to find out.Cheers, Shiree

Kriza said...

Hi,
you made beautiful things again! Congrats to your new roommates too. And yes, March is the best month to be born, my daughter is 4 today, I'll be 4X tomorrow (brrr...), and my elder son will be 10 the day after. What a lucky month! :-)

Stina Blomgren said...

oh...wonderful mail to you!!! :o)
Bloggingfriends...are soo...BEST!!!
And I just love the "leftover" bag...wondeful colours and fabrics...
And for the "nicest possible people" I can only agree since Im a Marchgirl too... ;o
Love your peek....more wonderfulness!!

Unknown said...

Loves the colours of your bag and sneaky peek....makes me happy!
Nice work!

Chookyblue...... said...

just imagining a Kris Dandelion........lol........

ittybittyandpretty said...

my little curly headed middle child turns five on the 21st of this month and she is pretty darn special!! love all that i see!! you are a kind and generous person.
%^_^% rosey

Judy S. said...

So, Kris, which day is THE day? We went to a B&B is Scotland a few years back that had bears everywhere...a relative maybe? Love your new quilt-beginning and will be anxious to see more of it. The fabrics are really nice.

Anonymous said...

hee hee I shall tell u a secret Judy S...someone who loves bears has a birthday on 20th
March!
And maybe nicest people r in March,but BESTEST and most birthday-gift deprived (sob!) r in December!

Tudy said...

When next week are you birthdays? Mine is the 17th. March is the best month. Both my daughter and son and son-in-law are all born in March.

Kerryanne @ Shabby Art Boutique said...

Hey Kris,
Of course I am lovin' all that I see here today but especially that new quilt. That will make a great pattern packet.

Pop by when you have time - I have given you 2 awards... yes that is right, 2 awards. That's because you deserve 2!!
Hugs and jugs,
Kerryanne

Sew Useful Designs said...

Wow Kris! You have been burning the midnight oil haven't you?!!! How industrious have you been?!!! Gosh! I love the bags! And the colours you've chosen for your quilt are divine! Warm wishes, Vikki :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...