Monday 10 March 2008

Why do I do this to myself!!

I don't know about you, but I ask myself this question a LOT!! My mind says, "Yes, I'll have PLENTY of time to do that, so I'll just do this first!!" And of course, reality interferes and it all comes crashing down!! That's what I've done to myself today.

You see, I'm packing my bag and leaving Scott - for three days! Tee! Hee! Hee! Lynette's hubbie is off on a work trip and I'm heading off to Brisbane to keep her company and help even up the odds - it'll be two adults against three kids, instead of one against three!! (Still feeling a little like Custer at the Little Bighorn!!!)

The exciting part of this trip, is that we've planned it as a mini craft retreat. With three kids aged from 7-11 and all the associated after-school and weekend activities, not to mention working several shifts a week as a midwife working with premmie babies, plus all the house 'have-to-dos', Lynette doesn't really get a lot of time to tackle craft projects. Her last project was a cute primitive style stuffed pony who, due to lack of time, took almost a year to complete. He was known as the blind albino horse, as he was put together, but she hadn't got back to give him his eyes and Parisian essence colouring for ages! Tee! Hee! Hee! So, she's chosen a project (Duncan and Danae, one of my towelling bear patterns!!) and I'll help her get them finished over the two days - that's the plan!!

As a result, I made myself a mental list of things I needed to do before being away for three days. There were a couple of dolls to finish, a load of washing to be taken care of, a bag to be packed, requirements for our project to be rounded up and packed (along with most of my fabric stash - just in case inspiration strikes!!) an entry on my blog and the sewing room to be tidied. At the end of a day that seems to have gone past very quickly, I can only cross one thing off the list - the washing!!! Aaaaaaarrrrrgghhhh! Why do I DO this to myself!!

I'm not the neatest person in the world (did you just hear my mother hurting herself laughing at that understatement!!) but when I go away for a few days, I like to tidy up a bit before I leave, so I can come home and not have to worry about unexpected visitors disappearing should they venture off the basic track from door to chair. So, this is what my sewing room should have looked like by now.


And this ...


Instead, after a day of interruptions and side-tracking myself, this is what it still looks like ...


And this ...


Three explorers of the unknown ventured in and haven't been seen since!!! SIGH!! My mother says that somehow her 'tidy gene' skipped over me - she may be right, but I don't really see it as 'mess', more as 'Creative Clutter'! It's my story and I'm sticking with it!! Although I do feel sometimes that perhaps I should get one of those "Beware! Construction in Progress!" signs to put on the door.

The washing was successfully completed (no dramas in the laundry this time!! See "A Day of Little Surprises" if you want to know what I mean!!), the dolls are half made, so I'll take them with me to work on while Lynette creates her bears and I have done a new blog entry!! I guess fifty-fifty isn't a bad result - just don't tell my mother!!! Tee! Hee! Hee!

Now those of you who are very observant (or now scroll back up to check what I mean!!) will have noticed that I said I was going away for THREE days, but said Lynette and I hoped to complete her project in TWO. This still leaves a day unaccounted for. Well, let me tell you what that day will involve - I will get to meet one of my new blogging friends IN PERSON!! Linda from Lilly Cottage and I have been chatting back and forth, reading each other's blogs and admiring each other's taste in craft and decorating (we've discovered similar taste in most things!!) for a few weeks now and I was excited to find that she and HER best mate run their shop in Brisbane. So ... can you fill in the blanks?!?! I'm taking MY best buddy to meet Linda and HER best buddy on day number three and we're planning lots of tea and talk or coffee and chats!! I'm very excited about meeting Linda and Laura and drooling over the goodies in their shop that have been teasing me from my computer screen! Oops! That thump was Scott fainting of shock - again!! Tee! Hee! Hee! He's always a little scared when Lynette and I organise our 'play dates' and the news that we were hitting Lilly Cottage made him shudder harder, as he's decided it sounds very dangerous to our budget! I'll try to be good - promise!! But even if I can't be good, I'll definitely report back on our visit when I get back.

Well, I'd best be away before I get even further behind - if that's possible! Hope your day has been a little more productive than mine! Til next time, Bear Hugs!!

CHEERS!
KRIS

2 comments:

Linda said...

Hi Kris,
I hope you have a wonderful time on your mini craft retreat, I hope that you get lots of crafting, shopping and girly things done. I am also soon going to make a trip to Lilly Cottage as soon as the schedule allows which is kind of crazy since I only live 15 minutes away. Have a great time.
Cheers Linda

Anonymous said...

HI Kris, one more sleep unitl our play date...oh and I did tidy up a bit so make sure you notice!!lol. Can I just tell you that I actually like your 'messy' room better than your tidy one, it looks like there are all sorts of interesting things to play with and discover in the second lot of pictures. I lose the attention of my friends when they come to my house as they get distracted by all the creations,half creations and clutter!!! I do hope you enjoy your day and make sure you have your camera, I have packed mine too! See you soon, kiss noises Linda Lilly Cottage.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...